Sunday 16 October 2011

Week fourteen: Bogeys and Bogans

This week has been a shock to the system after a relaxing fortnight of no work. I had an essay and a commentary due in on the Monday, neither of which had been started. Therefore the week started off with a fairly horrific (if impressive) 2,730-word essayathon in the library. It was horrible, but so worth it for the previous two weeks of no work in Queensland :) I recovered from the shock with mushroom pasta at Church st courtesy of Joshwaa!


Tuesday is the day upon which I traditionally aim to do work and entirely forget that I have two lectures to attend... This was another of those days. I went for a wander with Kirst and Roseanna from Mayfield to the city via Honeysuckle, which is absolutely gorgeous! We headed to Darby street, and had lunch at Goldbergs. I had a tofu and lentil burger (yes, I know, hippy food!) with some AMAZING chutney, it was yummy! In a carb-fuelled haze we headed to Marketown and then back home, when I realised that I had indeed forgotten about my two lectures today. Whoops. 


Wednesday was a library day, blah blah blah. I cut Roseanna and Kirsty's hair in the courtyard outside the library, which definitely earned us some odd looks! Clearly just jealous of my mad hairdressing skillz. We decided to forgo the usual Goon-Games-Brewery routine of a Wednesday night, and head to our newly discovered Honeysuckle Boardwalk, which is awash with beautiful cafes, classy bars and a view to boot. We all got dressed up (you really can't go for cocktails in jeans!) and headed to Dockyards bar, home to the cocktail happy hour and $7 bellinis... Yum. Needless to say, the combination of wine and cocktails was a deadly one, and the night may have ended up a little more rowdy and less classy than intended... It was SO fun though!


Hey, we looked classy at the start!

...And perhaps a little merry by the end!


Thursday was another work day, albeit a fair less stressful one than Monday! Anna and I escaped our Aboriginal studies tutorial to descend upon the NUSA free BBQ with the boys. So much love for free food. I got my work done, then headed to Church street for a yummy curry made by Domi. 


On Friday I had yet more work to do, sighhh. In the evening we had a film night and watched Lost in Translation, which is really good... I think. It's a bit odd. 


Saturday was going to be a productive day! I headed into town with Roseanna and met up with Kirst and Liz to go to a house viewing. The house was BEAUTIFUL, absolutely perfect, but unfurnished and didn't include bills. Alas, it was not to be! The search continues. The drowned our sorrows (but thankfully not ourselves) at Bogey Hole afterwards. Bogey Hole is a sort of swimming pool cut into the rock at the base of the cliffs past Newcastle Beach. It was excavated by the convicts who first settled here, making it the oldest ocean baths in Australia! Basically, it is a big, freezing cold saltwater pool. Did I mention how cold it is?! The waves crash over the sides, which looks amazing but gets a bit scary when the swells pull you out towards the ocean!



Bogey Hole is gorgeous!
Crazy girl.

The waves all crash over the side of the pool!

...Lots of waves!

:)
We recovered from our Bogey Hole adventures on Newcastle beach, where we bumped into Anna and Levon. We chilled and sunbathed for a while before heading to Go-Lo for sweets and snacks, and then onto Darby street for lunch. We went to Zinc cafe for a (very late) brunch, complete with some INCREDIBLE drinks - snickers milkshake anyone? It was amazing. We continued our adventuring with a walk to Bar Beach, where we ran away from the seagulls (rats of the sky!) and lusted after the beautiful houses along the sea front. Apparently it is obligatory to have floor-to-ceiling windows, with a baby grand piano prominently displayed. We headed back to church street and on towards Honeysuckle to watch the Wales vs France rugby match. I do not know what has happened to me but I have actually started watching - and enjoying - rugby! Don't get me wrong, it will never be as good as football, but it no longer makes me want to die of boredom.... Plus the amazing wedges at The Grand - burning hot and crispy, with mountains of sweet chilli and sour cream - help! Wales lost, which was sad for us and heartbreaking for The Welsh One, but we were cheered up by a serenading from our favourite Trivia man/singer :) Back at Church street, I accidentally spilt a glass of water over my bag, and made the ridiculous oversight of deciding to dry it on liz's halogen heater. How they let me study science at uni, I will never know. Needless to say, the bag went up in flames and Church st smelt of burning canvas for the rest of the evening. Whoops.
Girlies :)


Oh beaut snickers milkshake, HELLO.



Sunday was beautiful weather, so I headed to the beach and spent the afternoon relaxing on the sand, variously with Kirsty, Levon, Anna and Nathan. Kirst and I headed to Kiwi when we got peckish. It serves lots of yummy-looking ice creams with homemade waffles, mm. I got boysenberry swirl ice cream, and mango and passionfruit frozen yoghurt, all smooshed up with frozen mixed berries - it was so good! Once we tired of the beach, we got changed and headed once again to Honeysuckle, where we bagged a seat on the balcony to watch The Big Game: the Wallabies vs the All Blacks. The bar was utterly packed and the atmosphere was amazing. Australia lost, which certainly pleased the few Kiwis dotted around the bar, but it was a good game. Being a Pom, I have little problem with switching my allegiance - England lost, so we went for Wales. When Wales lost, we went for Australia, as it's our adopted country now. Now they've lost? Pff. We never wanted them to win anyways. Go Kiwis! 


YUM!


This week has, as is the fashion with time at the moment, passed in a flash. I cannot comprehend where all of the time has gone! Two weeks until the girlie trip to Sydney for Kirst's 21st. Three more weeks of lectures. Four weeks until my last exam. Madness. 





No comments:

Post a Comment