Tuesday 23 August 2011

Week three: Busy bee!

This week has been the start of my proper year abroad: the start of classes, the start of my (planned) fit and healthy aussie lifestyle, the start of my travels around Australia....


On Monday we decided to embrace the Aussie beach goddess thing, and therefore work on our bikini bodies. We signed up for a weeks free trial at the Forum gym and pool. My shiny new timetable gave me Mondays off to spend at my leisure, so we all went for a swim (read: 2 lengths and a lot of chatting). In the evening, we headed to town for a dinner party. The meal was a sausage-potato-tomato sauce combination, and when the search for veggie sausages failed, the veggie option consisted of a sliced green pepper.... bizarre, but its the thought that counts!


Lectures began for me on Tuesday, with Introduction to Aboriginal Studies and The Sustainable Society. Aboriginal Studies looks to be pretty interesting and the lecturer seemed nice, although I felt guilty for being British - we seem to have a knack for screwing up indigenous cultures. We went for a quick swim- a proper one this time - before afternoon lectures.  The Sustainable Society lecturer was a bit hippy-dippy and "excited to learn and grow with us" (HAHA) but it was entertaining at least... the class seems to be made up of 'our-only-option-is-to-renounce-technology-and-return-to-our-ancestors'-nomadic-ways' hippies, and people who like to provoke them. Cue intense discussions and lots of 'crunchy granola' types. And lots of knitware.


Wednesday started off with a trip to the gym. Yes, Australia has somehow coaxed me out of my exercise-loathing shell and caused me to partake in exercise - real, actual exercise, involving TRAINERS and GOGGLES (although not at the same time, that would be weird) - for three days running. Crazy. Afterwards, we popped on a shopping trip to buy shirts for the 'Back to School' party that evening (which we never actually bought due to them costing TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!), although a palaver with the buses/overexcited extended trip to Go Low to buy cut-price calories meant that I missed my first lecture for a module.... Whoops.


That evening we jumped on the goon-wagon and headed to Bar on the Hill, our lack of school uniform forcing us to be more creative and offering me a chance to whack out the freebie tweed jacket I nicked from NUSA (which is pretty cool in a grandad-y way, despite being approximately 74 sizes too big). We headed out to Fanny's after Bar on the Hill, and discovered quite how bad clubs can be. Imagine the Gallery/Mercy, on a smaller scale. More 'intimate'. Eurgh.


Thursday was lecture o'clock again, and I discovered that my Ecology module was actually an 'Introduction to Ecology' module, which is fairly pointless after 5 Ecology modules in second year at UEA. Think I'll be dropping it, especially as the intensive lab week eats up half of my spring break. I made it to the gym again (starting to doubt my sanity). In the evening we headed to a Mountaineering BBQ, where we smiled and nodded when they discussed caribenas in return for the best BBQ since arriving in Oz, no exaggeration! They put on a platter of vegetables and meat, with proper bread rolls and lots of dippy bits, and we could make our own kebabs! We had veggie kebabs, with aubergine and pumpkin and mushroom and other yummy bits, whilst the carnivores got the option of Kangaroo steak, amongst other, less exotic options. Nom nom nom.


Friday started early, with the second lecture of my Organisms to Ecosystems module, the
first lecture of which I had previously missed. My early ideas of it being the soft option as it's a 1000-level module were soon shown to be unfounded, as the course is heavy on the Plant Biology and Chemistry, most of which I have not done since year 12. I went for a swim afterwards - LOOK, MUM, I'M WILLFULLY DOING EXERCISE!!! That evening was the Commencement cocktail party for Evatt House, which was an opportunity to get all dolled up and enjoy yet more goon and free nibbles. The evening ended fairly early for me, as I had to be up at 5.30am for the amazing weekend in Sydney!


The 5.30am start for a 6.30am bus and a 7.20am train was, admittedly, not so fun. We were all doing our best koala impressions on the train (zzzzzzz) and we got to Sydney for 10.15am before meeting the boys at the hostel. We headed to Bondi Beach, which is GORGEOUS, but pretty small! Did a bit of sunbathing/shivering - 15 degrees is not QUITE bikini weather - and some pathetic attempts at beach games (anyone who has observed me in PE lessons can imagine how I sucked at Duck, Duck,
Goose). Eventually we took the plunge (geddit!) and went for a swim, which was really nice!
Once the sun began to sink, we went to grab some food and then head on the coastal walk from Bondi to Bronte. The walk was BEAUTIFUL, absolutely gorgeous! Definitely spied my future holiday home along the way - anyone got a spare $10 million or so? Once we got to Bronte we jumped on the bus and resumed our koala impressions - lazing in the sun really takes it out of you!


Bondi Beach


On the coastal patch, overlooking Bondi.


In the evening we got dolled up and played some drinking games. The hostel organises lots of free/cheap stuff for the residents, and we took our free drink tokens out to Maloneys, then skipped Shark Hotel due to ID issues with the boys, and headed back to the Hostel.


On Sunday morning, we headed out in Sydney, walking to Darling Harbour, Sydney Harbour Bridge, The Rocks and Sydney Opera House. Sydney is gorgeous, especially in the sunshine. Lots of high-rise buildings, surrounded on three sides by water, with lots of shops and cafes for brunch overlooking the harbour. It feels quite like New York, but cleaner and sunnier and less crowded. The Rocks was beautiful, lots of gorgeous old buildings with views of the Harbour, the Bridge and the Opera House. There was a food festival on, and we did what students do best - went begging for freebies. Lots of sugar-roasted macadamias, pieces of fudge, cherries and chai tea later, we decided to stop being skanks and go buy some food. I had a lovely turkish flatbread thing stuffed with feta and spinach, and topped with fresh lemon juice and chilli (nom) and a chocolate custard tart from the Guylian stall (nom nom). We headed to the Opera House afterwards, which was every bit as stunning as you imagine. We chilled and watched the ferries pass in the Harbour for a while, before it was time for me to leave the girls and head back across Sydney to collect my rucksack and get my train back to Newcastle, in time for the flat 'family dinner'.




AUSTRALIA!


Mmmm Guylian


Hyperactivity at the Sydney Opera House


The harbour bridge

The week has flown by, it's strange to think that 3 weeks ago I was heading down to London to catch the plane! I think now that I'm getting into the swing of things, time is going to start zooming away - I need to start planning out my travel adventures ASAP! Everyone seems to be a lot happier now that the torrential rain has ceased, to be replaced by sunshine and beautiful blue skies. I'm getting very excited for summer!


End of week 3 in Australia.
Injuries sustained: I just pulled off half the skin on my leg* and after soldering it to my insanely hot radiator. Paiiiiiiiiiin. (*may be a very slight exaggeration).
Random Aussie observation: Grenadine is called Red cordial. And they don't know what squash is.
Best Aussie Invention: The 'Aroma' food fair at The Rocks. SO MUCH TEMPTATION. All of my posts seem to revolve around food. I am going to have to roll onto the plane home.

No comments:

Post a Comment